Monday, January 7, 2013

42 Steps Ahead: Day 1

Day 1: Luke 1 (Getting Ready for Jesus)

When a product is ready to be released publicly, a flood of advertising is packaged in a media blitz. By the time a movie hits the theaters, we’ve seen the trailer enough to quote some of the actors’ lines!
So when you think about God sending His only Son to earth, can you imagine this historical event taking place with no advertising? Promotion is a way to give us a sneak peak at what’s coming. There are actually many places in the Old Testament that give us specific details about the life and purpose of Jesus.
In Luke 1, God sends an angel (Gabriel) to advertise the coming of two important people: John the Baptists and Jesus. Gabriel appears to John’s father, Zechariah, and Jesus’ mother, Mary. Take note of the response to both of these parents-to-be: they break out in song – a natural response to God’s movement in our life.

Cliffnotes


                Gabriel divulges Zachariah and Mary will produce children, they react differently. John the Baptist is born, there is a lot of singing and praise.

My Thoughts


The initial thing I observed was that this is partially the Christmas story. I have not read the Bible in its totality, but I have glanced over the beginning of John and Matthew. I find it remarkable how they all exhibit some manner of how Jesus came into play. Matthew and Luke appear to discuss about the tangible individual whereas John tells about Jesus as He was before we were created; ‘In the beginning’.

The Christmas story fascinates me chiefly because it is ordinarily told wrong. (The wise men were not truly there for the birth, for instance.) It appears as though there is much more significance than meets the eye. Was the manger required? Why did Jesus not cry? Why had the wise men or shepherds been part of the story? I would imagine Jesus is immense enough of a main character to not need them.

Also, who is Theophilus? My roommate, Rodney (Bible Encyclopedia Extraordinaire), imparts that Theophilus is who Luke and Acts is addressed to. This may be, but that does not say who he is and why letters like this were written to him.

I did not comprehend John the Baptist’s background. I have skimmed through John in the past and never really fathomed he was sort of a prophet. It is radical how Jesus and John were so attached (and related). I speculate sometimes if this has some unseen implication that I do not understand. Why does Gabriel say John will never have alcohol? Another phrase I do not quite grasp is “He will turn the hearts of the Fathers back to their children.  It is in a funky style of text so I can distinguish it is quoting the Old Testament. A swift Google search uncovers it is Malachi 4.

After a cursory read, it seems it is directly prophesying John the Baptist. I deduce this is what Steve meant in his little write-down, that there was a heap of ‘advertising’ before Jesus. Even John got some recognition. The actual verse still confounds me a mite, but I imagine if I ever get to Malachi I will be able to think on that more in depth.

Zacharias does something that I suspect I would have done, inquired if God was sure. It is very simple when an unfavorable answer arrives from God to question it. This reminds me of a verse I was examining in my @ group. “Therefore, to one who knows the right thing todo and does not do it, to him it is sin.” (James 4:17). It is a little hard to swallow at first, much like Gabriel’s news. It is challenging to not simply say, “How will I know this for certain?”

It also feels like causing the man to be mute is a bit extreme. It makes me consider the Ark of the Covenant in that if it were touched or dropped, people would die. I am not certain why sometimes God seems to have disproportionate responses, though there surely is a reason. In this case, I can see later on when he regains the ability to talk, it comes to the glory of God. He speaks praise and the people around him notice.

On the opposite side of reactionville, Mary took the news in stride. But why did she leave to Elizabeth? Why did she remain three months? Also of note is every time it says “Filled with the spirit”, there is some outpouring of love for God. Elizabeth and Mary have an outpouring, and so does Zacharias; each with the funky styled text again designating Old Testament scripture. I am not looking these up; I presume it is prophesy again.

Though, one verse is really cool. I believe it is talking about Jesus and says, “To shine upon those who sit in darkness and the shadow of death.” Is that not neat to ruminate about, the picture it paints? Someone sitting in pitch black darkness, not even comprehending where he is or what he should do, lingering until Jesus comes and shines his light to show the path to life.

Now, what was the point of Luke 1? Sometimes I feel there is not always a concise lesson in a chapter, but sometimes there might be many. What did I absorb from Luke 1? There was a lot of advertising for Jesus, God does not change and He did not spring this on the world. You get advance warning. Whenever I find myself in a predicament and cry, “How did I get here?” There were likely some signs I did not heed. Also, remember to be obedient to the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment