Sunday, January 6, 2013

42 Steps Ahead Introduction


                My undertaking of reading the bible book by book, once a week, was a noticeably substantial burden to bear for me. As an avid not-reader of the bible, my aspirations quickly faded and left me with only the inkling of failure. I hesitantly abandoned the endeavor as I recognized my own personal development was more imperative than affording the misconception I was well learned. However, that didn’t solve the averseness for reading. I can’t say the planets have aligned and I’ve overhauled it, but I’ve arrived to the conclusion that I need to accomplish this. Lethargy be darned, I’m going to do this.
                Presently I’m still in debate of my objective. I do desire to read the unabridged bible cover to cover, but I question if that is the best thing to do at first; particularly with such a rigid timeline. My church has a small section on their website for new Christians entitled “Grow in the Bible”.  It advocates a pamphlet made by our pastor, Steve McCoy, called 42 Steps Ahead. One of my friends, Clay, was able to procure one for me even though when I had searched they were in short supply. I asked permission from Steve to utilize his handiwork, so ladies and gentlemen – 42 Steps Ahead!

 
The Bible can be overwhelming at first glance and if you have no idea of where to start, you’re not alone. 42 Steps Ahead is written for those who are just getting a start in the Bible.
Each day, there is a suggested chapter to read along with some background info given for each reading. These selected chapters will give you a bigger picture of the Bible and how it flows – they start with the story of Jesus, then moves to the beginning experiences of the early church, followed by some highlights of the Old Testament (before Christ). 
If you are no familiar with the Bible and don’t know where each book can be found, just use the Table of Contents in the front of your Bible. Like anything else, the more time you spend in God’s words, the better you’ll be able to navigate. Don’t be discouraged if it takes a while; give it some time and you’ll be moving around the Scriptures with no problem. 
A critical part of growing spiritual is knowing God and there is no better way to do this than spending time in the Bible. The Scriptures are not simply ancient words on a page; God uses them to grow us spiritually. The word of God is alive and active. (Hebrews 4:12) 
God reveals himself to us through his words. The unfolding of your words gives light. (Psalm 119:130) No one understands everything in the Bible, but without questions, God will reveal to us what he wants for us to see. Every time I open the bible, I simply pray these words: Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your word. (Psalm 119:18)I am jazzed for you as you begin this journey in God’s word! Whatever chapter you are living right now, God’s hope for you is to move ahead. And this is my hope for you, too… as you take 42 steps ahead.



That was the first page of 42 Steps Ahead. I will strive to read each day and publicize my views. I encourage you to as well! Hopefully with this trial, I will become less Spiritually Outclassed.

No comments:

Post a Comment